Kris Carlon / Android Say-so
☕ Skilful morning! There’s a behemothic fruit conference in Berlin this week, roofing everything from new fruits, topackaging, logistics, quality, buildings… I might endeavor and pop along and see if there’s anything to study. Or eat!
Microsoft + Android
Microsoft confirmed a
scoop from final week: As office of the company’s usual re-organizations that occur effectually every 18 months, it has coalesced a new dedicated division around Android.
From the report:
- “Announced past Chief Product Officer (CPO) Panos Panay in a memo before this week, the company is moving its Surface Duo Os, SwiftKey, Phone Link, Microsoft Launcher, and a scattering of other Android teams under a new defended Android org called “Android Microsoft Platform and Experiences” (AMPX.)
- “…This new dedicated Android division is designed to help the visitor double down on its Android offerings and really focus on the platform equally a showtime-party endeavor alongside Windows.”
- Let’south not ignore history: Microsoft has obviously had close Android ties through the years. My colleagues wrote all kinds of things nigh Microsoft dropping the ball, laying off most of its Windows Mobile QA testers, and then on.
- In theory, in 2022, nosotros tin draw a line and say that was then and this is now, though at that place’south some unshakeable baggage…
Why it matters:
- Microsoft continuing to invest in Android projects, and tying it into a single organization under Panos Panay tells you at that place’s something to this Windows+Android+Surface realm.
- Microsoft also announced last calendar week that Your Phone volition now be known every bit Phone Link, as that app attempts to bring Android phones and Windows PCs closer together.
- Await more to come.
- Microsoft might exist standing to invest some of its power into Android just there are plenty of unknowns, like how closely it’s working with Google. It’southward somewhat of a mystery relationship.
- Microsoft partnering with Amazon’s Appstore vs the Play Store to bring apps to Windows 11 tells u.s.a. enough to know Google isn’t exactly property hands with Microsoft’s Android team.
- Android isn’t endemic exactly by Google, of course, although the development of Android certainly is.
- Information technology’due south besides still somewhat of a mystery as to how
the Surface Duo and Duo 2 managed to launch with and then many terrible bugs.
- (Though the skilful news is that evidently the Duo 2 is closer to where information technology should exist now, afterward months of patches?)
- And there will be a Duo iii based on previously reported allocations of resource.
- In terms of the extended Windows ecosystems, at that place’s Windows+Android, at that place’s Chrome OS+Android, and if you really squint, there’s Samsung One UI+Windows+DeX?
- Nothing is as cohesive as Apple’s macOS and iOS, but the tie-ups are getting more pregnant.
👉 In case you missed information technology: Our OnePlus 10 Pro review, or as I suggested for a title: “But purchase the OnePlus ix Pro”
🔫 Hither’southward the original Doom, simply raytraced
📺 A new Roku Ultra may be coming shortly based on a model number slip on its support pages, and here are v useful things it could do
🚁 Drone delivery started as weaponized hype, just long after the attention faded, Amazon, Alphabet, and more are standing to ringlet out drone commitment across America, partly due to the FAA’s evolving regulation (WSJ, $).
Accept a corking showtime to your week,
Tristan Rayner, Senior Editor